I thought I would take a look into some top Charleston tourist attractions to maybe help you get a feel for what Charleston, South Carolina is all about.
Nestled on the banks of the Atlantic ocean, Charleston offers some of the best tours around that help you to gain an understanding of its history (including creepy history) and deep southern roots.
Allow me to break down some best attractions to consider when planning your next family vacation or weekend get-a-way.
Old South Charleston Carriage Tour
Take in a unique view and learn about Charleston’s 300 year history traveling on a horse drawn carriage through the cobble streets of old Charleston.
Many say this is the best way to tour Charleston which travels over 2.5 miles and 30 blocks of rich Charleston history in its historic district. Look and listen and as you experience some of the most well-preserved landscaped gardens, antebellum mansions, churches and other historical landmarks.
This tour last approximately 1 hour.
South Carolina Aquarium
The South Carolina Aquarium which overlooks Charleston Harbor, connects you with more than 5,000 animals. Come face-to-face with injured sea turtles in rehabilitation and follow their journeys from rescue to rehab to release.
The aquarium includes two touch tanks for a hands-on experience with stingrays, sharks, horseshoe crabs, sea stars and urchins. Explore the daily dive shows and animal encounters in the 385,000 gallon Great Ocean Tank.
Charleston Speed Boat Adventure Tour
Experience the adventure of a lifetime on the Charleston Speed Boat Adventure Tour. A guided and narrated tour of Charleston Harbor with a twist. You are able to navigate and captain your own speedboat for the entirety of the tour.
Get up close to the sights of Charleston Harbor including:
- USS Yorktown Aircraft Carrier
- Arthur Ravenel Jr Bridge
- The downtown Charleston Skyline
- Waterfront Park
- South Carolina Aquarium
- The Cruise Ship Terminal
- The Battery
- All the wildlife that call Charleston Harbor home.
Charleston Strolls History Walk
This particular tour which began in 1979, Charleston Strolls offers the best historical walking tour in town. With experienced guides with extensive local knowledge, Charleston Strolls points out the city’s best attractions:
- Rainbow Row
- Historic Waterfront Battery
- Antebellum Mansions
- Four Corners of Law
- A visual tour of Fort Sumter
- Hidden Gardens & Courtyards
- Historic Churches & Graveyards
- The Revolutionary and Civil War
This tour runs about 2 hours long.
Savor the Flavors of Charleston Tour
For this 2 1/2 hour tour, take the mile long walk and taste your way around Charleston’s local flavors. Some cuisine that you get have the opportunity to sample are:
- Stone Ground Grits
- Charleston Benne Wafers
- Locally Made Gourmet Chocolates
- Southern Pralines
- Sweet Tea
- Collard Greens
- Lowcountry Barbeque
- Includes Farmers Market during season
Charleston Chef’s Kitchen Tour
Visit several restaurants to see the inner workings that take place behind the scenes to create South Carolina’s distinct culinary landscape.
- Explore the history of the restaurants visited
- Learn about the chef’s approach to culinary excellence
- Have the menus interpreted by a professional
- Get a close up peek of the kitchens
- Learn what it takes to produce all those amazing meals
This tour only takes place once daily and sells out quickly so be sure to plan ahead.
Charleston Ghost and Dungeon Walking Tour
Charleston Ghost and Dungeon Walking tour is a behind-the-scenes look into the frightening world of the city’s Haunted Historic District. Twilight and late-night tours take you to some most popular sites of paranormal activity.
- Explore the Holy City’s cemeteries, churches and back alleys
- Led by fully licensed, experienced tour guides/story tellers
- Hear true stories of Charleston ghosts, voodoo and Lowcountry superstitions
- Only Charleston walking tour that has access to THE DUNGEON
- Bring a camera, maybe you will get lucky and capture a ghost
This tour runs 90 minutes
Charleston Ghost and Graveyard Walking Tour
The Ghost and Graveyard Walking Tour is your chance to explore some strange incidents, which are intertwined in the city’s fascinating heritage.
- Exclusive opportunity to walk inside the gates of one of Charleston’s oldest graveyards after dark
- Inspect the headstones to see what you might learn
- Take a moment to step across the graves
- Hear stories of the famous individuals who found their final resting place Charleston
- Experienced and fully-licensed tour guides
Dark Side of Charleston Walking Tour
Charleston high society has played a major role in some most shocking scandals. The tour shines a light on their inexplicable behavior. You can learn more about these creepy stories on a Dark Side of Charleston Walking Tour.
- Most exclusive and uncensored tour of Charleston
- Fully licensed, experienced tour guides
- Entertaining, intriguing, shocking and delightful
- Fascinating 90-minute walking tour
- No other Charleston walking tour like it
The Haunted Jail Tour
This by far is the most disturbing tour in Charleston. This behind the scenes look at the infamous Old City Jail is one of the most popular sightseeing excursions. You will hear stories of tragic events, mystery and the macabre as you tour the jail that housed the city’s most evil criminals from until 1939. Prisoners included 19th century buccaneers, Civil War prisoners among others.
- Hear about people being burned at the stake, branded, drawn and quartered and horse thieves having their ears nailed to a post.
- Experienced and fully-licensed tour guides
- Until it closed in 1939, over 10,000 people died on the property
- The scariest Charleston ghost tour by far
- Most popular Bulldog Tour Company walking tour
How Can You Purchase Tickets?
As you can see, there is a lot to explore in Charleston, South Carolina. Hopefully I have been able to give you some insight into some attractions that you may not have even known about (I would personally be all over the ghost tours).
What you should do now is to head on over to my main review page and learn about how to get these Charleston tourist attractions at a discounted price. In fact, you will get the lowest price guarantee so you know that you can order with confidence.
There are zero hidden fees. All prices shown include any fees and taxes so the price you see is the price you get!
If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below. Have you taken any of these tours in the past? If so drop your experience below as well. I’m off to find you some more great travel deals so until next time!